View Single Post

Thread: Why is DC sucking so much?

1. - Top - End - #130
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Why is DC sucking so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    Agreed and agreed. Maybe I'm unclear on what we're arguing. I originally brought Civil War up to contrast a concept done well with DC's attempt at superhero conflict. My impression has been that people are arguing it wasn't done well because it didn't work... exactly as intended or not everyone signed on or the characters have moral failings, etc. So yes, Cap frees them, but now they are all fugitives. The Accords are still in play. So long as they have someone to enforce them (Rhodes will as soon as he is healed, and my money is on Vision as well).
    First, I think most of the people arguing about the Accords are past the point of arguing about whether the Accords were a good narrative tool and are deep into arguing about whether the Accords were (a) moral or (b) effective. To some extent, this already demonstrates that the Accords were a good narrative tool.

To the extent that your comments relate to the effectiveness of the Accords, I don't wholly disagree, but...Cap freeing the prisoners demonstrates the weakness of the imprisonment mechanism, Wakanda's disregard for whatever extradition clause the Accords presumably has renders the fugitive status designation rather toothless, and the resulting dependence on supers to enforce the Accords calls into question how different it is from supers self-policing in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I have about as much trust in Cap's ability to read though the fine print of an FN deal as i have in his ability to chew though his own shield. Patience and analytical thinking has newer been his strong side.
    And the answer that should have been given there were "we take the day off/report sick/resign" Unfortunately Cap was not clear enough in his head to do any sort of negotiation.
    Tony has his opportunity to object to that characterization and doesn't. (Then again, given he basically says he doesn't care what enforcement mechanism is in place as long as there is one, I don't necessarily trust that he read the Accords either.)
    Last edited by Lethologica; 2017-11-27 at 03:35 PM.