Quote Originally Posted by Reddish Mage View Post
Its one thing if you want to say that the movie meant nothing to you about anything political, but the movie is objectively making politically and racially charged statements.
By all means, please share what these statements and comments are...
The movie is making explict statements with political language and using overt political imagery.
What are the statements that it is making? I'm not being funny here. I walked away from this movie without feeling like it was trying to tell me something about the real world. That seems opposite to your experience. What is it telling you?
There is a gratiutious scene where a hapless orc is getting beaten by the LAPD with their sticks and Will Smith challenges his partners loyalty. It does nothing to advance the plot but it helps establish how horrible the cops are.
There are plenty of scenes establishing how awful the cops are, including Internal Affairs. And in much more explicit ways. The movie doesn't show you what occurred before the beat down, so to pick this scene as the scene to establish how bad cops are is just strange.

Given that the orcs are seen lifting cars with ease, and getting rammed by vehicles into walls without so much as a scratch, the use of force required by police officers may be different than in the real world. I'm not seeing the parallels that you're seeing.

But all that aside, what is this scene telling you? What "explicit statement" are you getting out of this scene?
But, I don't suppose there's any significance to the story taking place in "LA" or that the cops are the "LAPD" since this is a fictional world.
Given that corruption and brutality are widespread in the real United States, sure. But what does that mean to you then? For me, you could slap any city onto their vest and it wouldn't change the story.
Orcs are coded and mapped right into the slot for black people.
Oh, ok. So centuries ago, blacks chose the wrong side of a war against a great evil, like, say Hitler, and they have been paying for that mistake ever since by being relegated to second class citizenry, that they in part are responsible for by clinging to tribal loyalty and eschewing the greater integrated society, to the point that there are no blacks in positions of power, leadership, or even among the police force. Yeah, ok...
The brutality and language shown on screen is lifted right from historical events and contemporary news and political movements. These events are still fresh and the political discourse its stealing its language and scenes from is going on now.

The movie-makers intentionally appropriated the language and imagery of contemporary politics and, at the very least, wanted the movie to appear contemporary and relevant. It does so in a very graphically violent manner with shocking imagery.
Ok, so what is the message again? What's the issue here?
There is a question of what all the racism and racially motivated violence in the movie means, but there is no question it means something.
Well what does it mean??