Quote Originally Posted by danpit2991 View Post
exactly as Leon says the spell causes you to believe the illusion is real i admit a king trying to score free drinks is ludicrous but since the illusion is a construct of the targets mind and not any kind of visual effect its kind of combining a spell like suggestion and an illusion it is mind affecting magic so to use the ridiculous king in a bar scenario in a feudal setting believe it or not even the common people would have an idea of what the monarch looks like maybe not perfect knowledge but thats the beauty of the spell it makes the target believe that the illusion is true and any inconsistencies are taken care of by the targets own mind so while he might ask himself why is the king in my bar he will also answer the question for himself ie its not my business to question those better than me and its best i dont know. the scenario of king in a bar could easily be changed to mayor in a bar or anything the point is that the innkeep will believe because he has no choice.

as for PFing a bag or box around someones head to blind them yes the box would move with them until they left the area of effect then their mind would make up some excuse as to why it came off and as for a wall of fire gues what people know magic exists fire is common in magic and most 6yold know not to touch fire especially because the target is forced to believe it is real

EDIT**** and as for an avatar showing up to smite once again people know magic exists people know gods exist ergo it wouldnt be shocking that someone could summon assistance magically from said diety clerics do it daily
the spell makes you believe the illusion is a real thing. just because there's an illusion of "king so and so" doesn't mean that the target must believe that it legitimately is king so and so, as opposed to someone that looks like king so and so for any variety of reasons. they won't believe it's not there, but they can believe whatever else they want about it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonBH View Post
PF makes the spell real, so you cannot assume it is a fraud as far as its existence is concerned.

It's totally up to each person how they will react when a god appears before them to smite them. It sounds like your NPCs don't care about such tricks, and I'm getting the vibe you are inclined to bypass those illusions somehow. If so, less power to your players.

Correct. And you can spend a spell slot to do it.
PF makes the target believe the spell is a real thing. it doesn't make you believe that the thing over there is a real avatar of a god, it just makes you believe that the thing really is there. it could be some sort of puppet, a big creature disguised as the god, or whatever, but the thing is, unless corellon larethian makes a habit of traveling around the world smiting random small groups of orcs, you have created a scenario where "this thing is obviously something trying to trick me into believing it is correllon larethian" is more reasonable then "clearly corellon larethian has decided to show up and fight half a dozen orcs in the middle of nowhere".

now, if you're in the main temple of corellon larethian that is currently being desecrated by orcs, it would be a bit more plausible that the avatar of corellon would show up. but again, nothing forces you to believe that the illusion is the real avatar of corellon larethian, it only requires you to believe that the thing really is there. it isn't a charm or a suggestion, it's an illusion.