Quote Originally Posted by Integraxgs View Post
Thanks, I thought about this as well, any more recommendations? Are there some that I can play right fro m the box? Maybe add expansion later?
I assume you mean ones that include an adventure in their starter set? That's harder.

I'm going to recommend Fate again, just because it has a bunch of ready to go 50-page settings/adventures available for free. The GM needs to be comfortable acting on the fly and not just running pennate encounters, but they can be cool (one of my favourite is Romance in the Air for being a bit more of an adventure, but even then there's a lot of improvisation the GM needs to do).

Traveller I believe has a box which includes the entire core book plus an adventure. Much better than D&D5e's quick start rules, although it is a rather hard, low key Space Opera system. Check the contents though, I might be mistaken.

There's also a number of games which include adventures in their core rulebooks, although I can't remember any off the top of my head that are still in print.

As a side note, most systems don't do starter boxes. RPGs in a box, including the core rules (ideally all of them, but that pushes the box price up) an adventure and maybe dice, maps, and potentially figures, were always cool, but are relatively expensive compared to a hardback tome and 'buy your own dice'. So for most suggestions it's better to look for the core rulebook, even though that'll land you sans adventure, of you're willing to learn adventure prep at the same time (so I recommend you stay away from most of my previous post for this reason).

Savage Worlds is an interesting option. No single adventure, the current edition includes a bunch of two page mini adventures in various genres, and various others are available for free. It's also rather cheap, I picked up a softback copy for about £7, but does require a variety of dice (ideally a D&D set per player and one or more for the GM, in practice at least 2 D&D sets will stop you from being bogged down and you can play with one plus an extra six sider).

As I think of more systems with free adventures I'll post them