1. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: I am a mad man: Converting Saga Edition to 5e [PEACH]

I apologize for necroing this thread, but I wanted to chime in with my own opinions now that I've gotten a chance to look at it. I must say you've done great work, though with the Sith inquisitor I have a few gripes, mainly that the Lightning archetype looks a bit weak. The thing about warlocks is their casting is deceptively limited; while short rest castimg looks plentiful in theory, in actuality it usually ends up being like 1 spell/encounter until very high levels. This means that warlocks tend to have to fall back on their at-will attack options in most combat rounds. In 5e, this is no issue because any archetype can pick up Eldritch Blast and Agonizing blast. However, for the Sith Inquisito EB being archetype limited makes it so the other two archetypes fall appart in combat, which is not fitting for a master of force lightning. Now, the dark healer could also suffer form this issue, but I can't tell because it does get some very unique powers. However, both dark healer and lightning seem to both suffer from being bad at combat, since they don't have their own EB equlivilents and thus are stuck spamming cantrips with the same power-level as a consular's cantrips, while the consular is also getting more casts/fight then them. Granted, they get invocations, but these don't really make up the difference because they are not as good as spells.

Now, there are four ways to solve this. Either A) You give both these archetypes their own EB equlivilent, B) you up the damage of their own at-will attack features (so the health leech for dark healer and shocking grasp for lightining), C) you make them better saber fighters, taking a page from the hexblade and giving them invocations that give them powers simmilar to the cha-to-saber attacks and damage, hexblade's curse and smite powers, so they actually don't suck as saber fighters (as right now the blade pact is actually worse than the blade pact was before hexblade, which is pretty bad) or D) you make their at-will attack powers have POWERFUL, at-will control or debuff riders, to compensate for the poor damage when compared to the EB the sorcerer gets. By powerful, I don't mean disadvantage on rolls or stuff like that. Thats just the frostbite cantrip. I'm talking something like lightning being able to use its bonus action to force an enemy who takes damage from shocking grasp to make a wisdom saving throw or be stunned until the start of the next round, at will. Like powerful, at-will control effects...not just simple debuffs

Basicly, if your not going to give the other archetypes access to EB, but still shaft them with the warlock casting chassis, they need an at-will attack option comparable to EB in power otherwise there is no reason to ever take them over sorcerer in a game with any frequency of combat. As it stands, the only way to play Inquisitor optimally is to take the sorcerer archetype, and that to me is a big shame.

Other than that, it looks pretty darn good. So I give you major props.
    Last edited by Giegue; 2018-01-15 at 09:30 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Mine started at a dinner party in the BBEG's estate.