Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
Any universe that actually had an objective "morality" that worked like the Alignment system would be an inherently immoral reality, and the only way for those living therein to be actually be good would be for them to work at odds with the very universe.
And thoughts like these are why you can have thinking, highly intelligent, highly wise characters in D&D who are not Lawful Good, or indeed any kind of Good.

Welcome to the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy
Anyone who claims that the mass slaughter of innocents is "for the greater good" or "for their own good", or that they can impose death on others en mass because they'd be "better off", has no claim to being good. They're evil, and I don't give a tinker's damn about what some cockamamie game system has to say about it.
No-one asked you to give a damn about the game's rules outside the game. Meanwhile, while discussing of the game, and of things within the game, not giving a damn about the game's rules is just failure to engage. Like, everyone gets it, you don't like the setting(s) painted by the alignment system. This continues to not be aan impressive criticism of either the system or the settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy
I have no problem with a setting in which the inhabitants believe in odd moralities culturally or individually. But if you tell me the universe itself is inherently immoral (which is exactly what some of the examples here -- never mind decades of examples and discussion -- are demonstrating about Alignment as the inherent "moral" structure of those settings that use it)... then I'm either going to play a character who seeks to burn down the universe, or more likely just say "no thanks" and walk away from the table.
And if you were to play such a character, you'd be in good company, as this has been done by myriad players and characters alike. It's something of a classic, even. Or at the very least, a trope.

In fact, I'd suggest you do it at first opportunity just to get it out of your system. Maybe then you can actually start to appreciate the value of having setting with such radical morals underpinning them.