Oh boy. I like this story.

So, sci fi/fantasy setting (similar to Starfinder's setting, actually). The players have their own spaceship, and are generally hands for hire (a better-armed Serenity would be a good comparison). They...immediately make the jump to piracy. Cool.

So they take down their first target, and then...fly to the closest station, which was in the same system, and then sell their bounty. This is already veering in to stupid, but they got away with selling the stuff with some good rolls. Then, and this is the fun part: they got a little nervous when I briefly mentioned some guards doing generally guard-y things. And by "a little nervous," I mean they bolted to the ship and sealed it up, getting ready to bolt. This understandably attracts the attention of the station's security - not in a "let's go shoot them way," but more of a "let's go knock on the door to see what's up" way. The guards walk up, knock, ask if everything is okay.

Aaaand the players promptly killed the guards and then blew a hole in the side of the station, venting everyone on board into space.

The kicker: travel between systems was done via warp gates (no independent FTL). The players had just rather publicly announced their presence with a massive act of terrorism.

The game wrapped up at the end of that session.