View Single Post

Thread: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

1. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Lemmy's Custom Weapon Generation System

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimPeddler View Post
    Bruising, a 1cp modification that adds (can't decide between 1d2, 1d4, or 1/2 your strength modifier) points of nonlethal damage to a weapon.
    - If Damage Die Progression: Can increase the damage as per the damage progression table at a rate of 1 stage per 1 CP.
    -If 1/2 Strength Modifier: You may pay 1CP to be able to increase the multiplier of your strength modifier for the purposes of this damage only, at a rate of .5x>1x>1.5x>2x, to a maximum of twice your strength bonus.

There, bruising.

I was originally going to go with 1d6, but that felt like it'd be a bit too much for 1cp. Then I thought 1/2 str or 1d4 would still be a bit too OP at early levels for most GM (I play with a lot of "soft" gms, of the Non-"Rappan Athuk/Temple of Elemental Evil Love-child Meat Grinder" variety). So, meh. Pick a base die for the progression, I'm pretty sure you've a better sense of game balance with this system than I do, lol.
    Those are good ideas, but they do run into a few issues... There's already a "nonlethal" modification that allows the character to deal nonlethal damage at no penalties... So I feel like just adding +X damage might be too close to that. Aside from that, I'm not a fan of the idea of adding an easy way to increase Str-bonus-to-damage.

I was thinking of something like... Perhaps slow the enemy down? Or bruise a limb to impose a penalty to attack rolls made with that limb? But this being a weapon property, rather than a feat or class feature, it's hard to balance. A simple -2 could be too good... Hmmm... Maybe it could force the target to make a relatively easy Fort save (no more once per round) and on a failure, it suffers -1 to attack and/or damage rolls made with the bruised limb/natural weapon.

EDIT: I've been thinking of adding siege weapons... I suppose the easiest way would be just making them be really big versions of normal weapons... But I'd like a modification that allows weapons to be use via Kn(engineering) and to ignore a bit of Hardness.
    Last edited by Lemmy; 2018-02-12 at 06:41 PM.
    Homebrew Stuff: