I was saying the Abilities don't have any particular advantages over other ways of getting the exact same flavor elsewhere, and in general are less precise and more expensive ways of getting it. So unless you actually plan to make use of everything a given Ability offers you in play, you may as well just buy the stuff you actually want to use and leave the Ability itself at 0.

Now, I think a lot of times when people say they "buy it for flavor" the main point is "I bought it knowing it was not likely to make a difference in play, but even so it's something I envision my character being able to do." Which is absolutely a good thing to do. But you want to be careful with that. Is it not likely to come up in play because it's actually not likely to come up, or because your bonus is so low that even if an opportunity to use it does come up you're probably going to leave it to somebody else or try to find an alternative that's more likely to succeed? Something like the Fascinate advantage, or using that multiple-Expertise construct I mentioned in the guide and spending a couple of slots on things like Cooking or Philosophy or Video Games, or a couple array slots with really niche powers, are examples of the former. You may never have any real opportunity to use them in play, but if you ever do it'll matter that you had it. Abilities tend to be the latter. There are plenty of opportunities to use the capabilities they give you in play, but unless you invest in them further, you're probably going to shy away from them because you're likely to fail. In this way, they actually kinda fake giving you the flavor, because if you ever try to actually make use of it in play, it's pretty likely it won't work out like you'd hope. It's kind of a "show, don't tell" thing.