Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
However, the Dragon Skald has to take Alter Wind, Obscuring Mist, and Fog Cloud as their initial spell selections, and fog/mist conjuring could be hard to explain away.
I read it as these spells are totally optional - they're added to the list of spells that you can choose to have as 'spells known', but must still be chosen as normal (at your discretion).

I do think that beating a war drum that tames the wind spirits would be culturally acceptable though (vs say, summoning a celestial meat shield or casting burning hands).

I'm currently leaning for Dragon Skald over Bard Skald. Even discounting spellcasting (or lack thereof), there are a lot of Bard class abilities that I doubt would see much use (Countersong, Distraction, Fascinate, Well Versed). Being a viking-inspired setting, I'm assuming that there will be some longboat travel at some point? Otherwise "Sea Legs" replacing Bardic Knowledge becomes a bit of a wasted class ability.
There will be a number of sea voyages, so Sea Legs will not be wasted.

That said, looking over some of the other setting info, the Spear Maiden Paladin archetype looks interesting as well... decisions, decisions.
Yep, also a solid & fun choice...