Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
  • Start with the challenges and the expectations for PCs, then write PC abilities. Then test things. Iteratively test things until you end up at whatever equilibrium you're targeting.
You brought up some points I like (even the testing in this quote), some I don't but I see where you are coming from, some I would fight you on (but this isn't the place for another round of caster/martial*) but the bit about challenges I will contest.

I think challenges is the wrong way of looking at this. What is interesting about a ranger being able to track a party of three hobgoblin soldiers through a forest? There is an answer there but I think the better question is: What is interesting about a ranger being able to track a group of escape POWs? What is interesting about a paladin being able to inspire the downtrodden?

In other words, take a step back, don't measure from what they are doing but more why they are doing it. In yet other words, not how they are supposed to overcome encounters, but how they are supposed to shape the campaign? Now solving encounters does shape the campaign, but that is sort of a reactive shaping. It misses this active: go out and do stuff. Rally allies, explore/discover new places, make friends, make money on the side. Whatever. How can the character push the story forward?

Start with the stories and work from there.

* Also if things have become an actual fight, it is time to take a break.

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Lost Dice View Post
(Names are working titles; "gish" and "theurge" are a bit on-the-nose and finding a good name for martial/skills is hard.)
Solider, Theologian, Mage-Knight?