Quote Originally Posted by rferries View Post
I doubt we'll ever know one way or the other... could even be a high-level spell with multiple spawn per casting (e.g. 1 spawn per 3 caster levels, a la teleport). Cross-posting from Homebrew, here are some versions I just whipped up:

I'm sure 3.5 equivalents already exist somewhere, but here are my takes. Protection from daylight is balanced against endure elements (1st-level spells protecting from environmental hazards), and rouse spawn is balanced against gentle repose (doesn't actually create an undead creature, just manipulates time periods involving corpses).

Protection From Daylight
Abjuration [Darkness]
Level: Cleric 1, Sor/Wiz 1
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

A wave of darkness briefly washes over you, then vanishes. You stride out of your tomb into the sunlight with confidence; your mortal prey will never suspect you are in fact one of the dreaded Nosferatu

The touched creature is protected from the harmful effects of natural sunlight (due to the Daylight Powerlessness, Light Blindness, Light Sensitivity, Sunlight Powerlessness, or Vulnerability to Sunlight special qualities or any similar effect).

Protection from daylight provides no special protection against magical light-based effects, and is countered and dispelled by any spell of equal or greater level with the [Light] descriptor.

Rouse Spawn
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Cleric 2, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Dead creature touched; see text
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

A burst of negative energy flows from your touch, awakening your vampire progeny.

Your touch instantly completes the transformation of a corpse into an undead creature, as per the Create Spawn ability of certain undead, a humanoid slain by a ghoul fever infection, a character slain by negative levels, or any similar effect. This spell simply hastens such a transformation; it has no effect on a corpse that would not otherwise arise as an undead creature.
Nice. I liked both.