View Single Post

Thread: Overwatch: Thread of the Game

1. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Overwatch: Thread of the Game

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    Know any 30 year old Overwatch Pros? So tell me again how Overwatch's most difficult skills are positioning & decision making.
    I'm agreeing with you, silly goose. I'm merely saying that by extrapolating experiences from different games you can come to a conclusion that pretty much every single thing you can learn and improve about this game comes down to grinding, because even the finer aspects of positioning (those microdecisions that separate GM tanks from Diamond tanks and so on) are something that will only come to you through hours upon hours of experience. I was going against the seemingly forming opinion that the only interesting part of the game is about positioning and ultimate management because they're purely "mental" and not merely a byproduct of being a kid with infinite amount of time in the world to hone your twitch reflexes like aim supposedly is. I have nothing against the inclusion of low-mechanics heroes into the game per se, but I definitely am not a fan of the idea that playing a tank or support gives you the free coupon to be an armchair strategist.

The guy who put hundreds of hours into Reinhardt is going to be much better at the character than a hypothetical genius who only had a single crash course of the hero. He will get in more hammer swings, get in better charges, get off better ultimates, gather his ultimate faster, have faster twitch reaction to certain events. Many of those things are going to be ingrained in their subconscious based off of hundreds of similar situations, and not a product of some anime villain diabolical plan that the 160 IQ player managed to figure out while holding his shield up for 5 minutes.

I even agree with you that Brood War definitely emphasizes the real time aspect more than the strategy aspect! I'm merely of the opinion that it's really, really silly to think that the game mechanics are somehow much less interesting than the "strategic" decisionmaking, but a lot of people think that positioning, game sense, strategizing, on-the-fly tactics, adaptability, etc. are somehow more nobilitated, that you're a thinking kinda player if your playstyle somehow emphasizes those, or if you simply don't have time or inclination to get good at mechanics.

I merely think that CarpeGuitarrem claiming that "making the choice to click on heads or not is not a choice, it's boring and shallow" is a very, very superficial understanding of what it takes to be good at these games - and I'm the person whose biggest point of contention with you, Jackal, is that I don't think that playing tank is "making the choice to flash a shield or not, which is boring and shallow". But really, right now, we're basically on the same side.
    Last edited by Winthur; 2018-07-23 at 01:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.