Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
Um...yes, that's what Bohandas was talking about. D&D defines "vermin" as specifically "bugs," but the generally-used definition is much broader.
D&D "vermin" type includes rats, I believe, as well. At least the non-dire versions. I'm pretty sure I've seen rat swarms as "vermin (swarm)" type.
Maybe I'm misremembering.

This is a weird childhood misconception that is entirely due to how I first heard the words, but I actually thought "Scorpion" meant "were-panther" (without having knowledge of the notion of a were-anything at the time), for several years as a small child.

This came about because I was watching the She-Ra origin movie: He-Man and She-Ra, Secret of the Sword. In it, there's a scene where Force-Captain Adora calls out two characters' names as implicit orders to attack: "Catra! Scorpia!"

However, what I saw was the character Catra responding to the order by pulling down her visor and turning into a panther. So I thought it had been: "Catra, scorpia!" as in, "Scorpia" was a verb-order, meaning, "turn into the cat form."

It was several years later, after having learned that scorpions were arachnids with stinger-tails, that I noticed the second character, who was essentially a woman-scorpion hybrid that would not be out of place as the hybrid form of a were-scorpion.