View Single Post

Thread: Planar Binding is SLAVERY

1. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Planar Binding is SLAVERY

Quote Originally Posted by RoboEmperor View Post
    I guess. There's also the oxford english dictionary definition: "open ended: having no determined limit or boundary." A set time limit is a determined limit or boundary. People debated this for a while when i was learning how to use Planar Binding but I think that quote pretty much settles the matter.
    To be fair, the clause in planar binding mentions it as a task the bound creature cannot complete of it's own volition. Creatures can't progress time any faster, they have no control over the completion of the task, thus it is considered open ended. That said, note that the entry in tome of magic stated that the planar binding was very carefully worded. This alone implies it's not that simple, there must have been something else in the planar binding clause that resulted in the 500 years of servitude. Perhaps it was something like "Torture 30 billion souls, to a maximum served time of 500 years". The torturing of 30 billion souls is certainly a non-open ended task, and something the fiend's capabilities enable him to progress at his own rate. The addition of the "maximum of 500 years" clause seems a bid odd for something like that though. Perhaps the fiend considered it an unreasonable request without the maximum time served.

Either way, it's not as simple as "Serve me for 500 years". Also note that the fiend isn't serving the caster's whim, he's doing a specific task, and is tasked to do it for 500 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Oblivionsmurf View Post
    What quote? Your dictionary quote, or the wording of the spell?
    He's talking about a quote from tome of magic.
    Last edited by Crake; 2018-11-10 at 12:39 AM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.