Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
So got to watch 2 new horror movies yesterday.

Tusk - A horror movie by Kevin Smith? Really? Yup. Plays heavily on horrifying than scary/creepy. Went in blind other than the quick blurb on netflix and had no real idea of what to expect and felt it worked best that way.

The Open House - Bit of a slow build up, but leaves you sufficiently horrified by the time its done. Does a really good job of leaving you guessing as to what's going on till right at the end and once the full reveal happens its all oh geeze *shudder*.

If you want more detail ask, but both of these worked very well going in blind for me.
I have two questions for both, and, based on the 'going in blind is good', I please just give a simple Yes or No.

Is the threat/scare/whatever supernatural (as opposed to mundane)?
If supernatural, is it something a reasonably superstitious person would probably avoid?

I really like horror movies, but I get creeped out easy and seem to only really avoid that if, if the situation in the movie were real, I would be okay. I can handle not getting creeped out my mundane stuff, so if it's actually serial killers or a crazy dude, that doesn't creep me out. If it is supernatural, I'm cool with it if I would be okay in that situation. For example, I'd avoid Ouija boards or seances, so any movie based on that wouldn't creep me out. Likewise, a la Cabin in the Woods, if I found a basement full of obviously creepy artifacts, I'd leave it alone and get out of there.

Or, I guess, if the threat is pretty easy to defeat if you accept it as real and act logically in response. For example, It Follows.

But especially movies where it's just a random ghost or demon someone happens upon and it starts to prey on them and their loved ones... those creep me out.

---

On the 'going in blind', if you like Tarantino, From Dusk Til Dawn.
It doesn't seem any horror at first. In fact, just mentioning it in this thread kinda ruins the full impact, but can't see much else way to state it, and it's so old by now that a lot of folk know what it's about anyway. If you try to watch it on Netflix, avoid reading the description: it spoils it.

Spoiler
Show
I saw it just thinking it was a normal crime-Tarantino movie. The shift to horror-flick halfway through was awesome!

It is a bit more action & sorta-comedy than horror in its horror aspects, but technically counts.
There's also a series on Netflix based on the movie, but I haven't watched it enough to comment.