Adalbert sees the tired and bored guardsman. Normal people or even adventurers would not give town guards even a slightest bit of attention or respect. But then again, Adalbert was no normal adventurer. Guards see everything. They meet people, and they're some of the most interesting people. As it nears dawn, Adalbert simply doesn't ask but holds a plate of assorted left-overs in Justen's general direction.

You look hungry, kid. I am Adalbert Hornwood, nice to meet you. You might not know me yet but I am a scholar from a far away city-state, cornered by Chelish navy.

I am from far away to study this kind of magic, you know. I abhor magic for combative reasons but I feel like fire-proofing our ships against the damned diabolists would be a smart thing to do? A real tragedy happened here. A shame, really.

In between sentences he just tries to offer Justen various delicacies. He waves his little hands for a bit chanting something in a weird mishmash of different languages. The cold food begins steaming again, and the plate hovers discreetly at a comfortable height for the young man.

Haven't I seen you in the Rusty Dragon before? Are you dating Ameiko? She is kind of cute in a weird and resolute way. But we cannot see eye to eye. My intellect is simply to great for her rural mind.

This fair is great. But have you seen the Garundi guy cheat at the tug-o-war? He had his comeuppance at the balance beam though. Still, keep an eye on her. Who goes to a festival with a warhammer? I mean honestly.

If you let him, Adalbert prattles on about how his superior is a respectable man even if a bit misaligned with the institute's goal of researching actually applicable arcane magic, and how Sandpoint is so incredibly friendly despite having suffered so much in the past. You can really feel he is trying to be friendly and respectful but often his inquisitive mind prompts him to ask even more questions while in return answering things no one even ever asked him.