Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
While it is true that players only get to choose which roll to use, tbh, considering the type of story you are telling with this system you probably weren’t going to want to do much else anyway.

Further, in most cases, while the Principal does dictate what rolls are available to use, there really isn’t any solid direction, just more of a vague, “Be the cutest and gain VPs!(to use Allure as an example.)

But like I said. You aren’t playing a game called High School Harem Comedy to play a demon slaying, tavern carousing, wench wooing loner hero.

You’re playing HSHC to write a love story. Hopefully YOUR love story. And yeah, that kind of needs some constraint. Because Protagonist-kun can’t be everywhere at once.
I see your point and I agree with you, but I think I may have articulated myself incorrectly. Perhaps I should clarify more what I mean. See, I thought more along the lines of when the rolls happen. Sure they’re vague, but I have no problem with that. Neither is there a problem with only four traits. I also somewhat assume the players will WANT to win the heart of this character and will follow him wherever he goes, not the other way around (unless he’s a god which can be anywhere at once, in which case, uhhhh okay, I can see why the players love him). I was thinking that instead of rolling before the scene occurred, why not roll during the scene? Instead of “Yeah, roll luck and see if you succeed then we’ll play out the scene” why not roll luck in the scene and see if that works out then and there. Perhaps that’s the intention the whole time and I have been completely blind to it, in which case I apologize. It just seemed like the decisions of players are somehow predetermined, when there could be more than one way to use skill, or luck, or any of the other traits. Furthermore, wouldn’t it add more to suspense if instead of knowing what is probably going to happen in the scene, you find out as you attempt to take action? Again, if I misunderstood, please correct me, it’s just that it seems a bit strange to me is all.