Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
Two questions for the people who are claiming it is fine for the DM to tell their players he isn't fudging:
First, nobody is making the exact claim that you are claiming they are. I have been saying that I wouldn't tell players either way normally. If they asked me about it outside of a session I might, but not during one. And that I wouldn't bring it up during the "Session Zero" since I don't think it's particularly significant.

Second, nobody said "tell your players you aren't fudging", I just pointed out that if you were not fudging and then shifted your stance to one were you allow occasional fudging not only is it not something you probably need to bring up, but that it would be bad for the game to do so, generally.

1: If an RPG doesn't have a "the DM is always right" rule, does that mean that it is by definition not an RPG?
There are RPGs that don't have that rule, but those aren't the ones we're discussing. You were talking about a D&D based system, even if it's heavily houseruled, as can be seen by the game terms that you are using. Those systems contain a rule like that because of the expectation of the kind of the game they run and the relationship that they involve.

2: Do you actually think claiming that something is in the rules makes violating an out of game agreement not dishonest? Like if a bunch of kids are playing basketball in the park and a much older and taller kid is told he can only play if he agrees not to dunk the ball because it is unfair to the younger kids, its perfectly for him to agree to that and then dunk to his heart's content?
1.) Basketball is competitive, so the analogy breaks down immediately. Even in games which are DM and Player as antagonists, they aren't competitive in the same way that Basketball is. It would be more akin to an organizer for a "Tough Mudder" changing up the course without telling runners (which they often do), or a Strongman Competition changing events without warning (which they often do).

2.) Even depicting the DM/Player relationship as Older/Younger kids is a bad analogy, because you're creating the image that one is "punching down". Which isn't really the case, they have different roles, it's not about a relationship of in-equals, it's more like the difference between what the rules for a director vs. what the rules are for an actor. Or similar, they don't have the same job, so the rules shouldn't be identical to them. And it's not always in the DM's favor, for example, a character can be completely selfish in their character goals, a DM can't make an NPC that is like that or should not. The rules are different because the roles are different.