1. - Top - End - #288
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Talakeal's Gaming Horror Stories Continued (not really)

Quote Originally Posted by AMFV View Post
    The other thing is that, what I was talking about was a DM who didn't intend to fudge rolls at the beginning of the campaign deciding to do it at a later date. At which point you can't really announce it or people will know which rolls you're fudging, unless you wait to do it. I would say that's not a big deal.
    I would say, it is a big deal.

Some people like fudging, some people are indifferent, some people don't like. Many would even play a game against their preferences if other aspects are good enough. But agreeing to not fudging and then still doing it later is a betrayal between the people sitting together to play a game. I have seen friendships ended for stuff like that.

But that's not what anybody has been advocating for. What (and I believe others) have been saying is that "fudging" isn't a fundamental aspect of the game enough that it would come up or be relevant in that discussion.
    And i have seen it come up regularly in session 0 discussions. Certainly not always, but often enough. I have also seen it brought up regularly when it was not agreed upon beforehand and then it became apparent that people had differing assumptions about it.

It is fundamental enough an aspect of the game. And i know several people who would not consider joining a campaign that goes against their preferrence here.

I also have seen some weird compromises including limited numbers of rerolls/fudges or the option to change results for plot reasons if done clearly, explicitely and not in secret. But most groups can agree on some way without such measures.

Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    DM: (Rolls for player in secret, gets a crap roll, knows door is trapped. Casually states): This door doesn't look any different from any of the others mate.
    That is not a lie.

That is an out of game statement about how the door looks to the character. And that statement is absolutely true.

I can't imagine any instance where a GM should ever have to lie to players in a normal game. NPCs might lie, but what the DM does in those cases is indirect speech, describing truthfully what the NPC is saying. In all other cases, the DM describes truthfully what the PC know/notice about the world. The GM can additionally make statements about the world that are not linked to PC interactions, but all of those have to be true.
    Last edited by Satinavian; 2019-01-05 at 01:56 AM.