Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
I am not doubting her ability to know her stuff, I am doubting her ability to slog through University. I am sure modern-Tsukiko can reanimate dead tissue with copious amounts of electricity and a good evil cackle. I doubt she can get a paper saying that she is qualified for the job. In modern times, that means that you don't get the job, even if you are eminently qualified for it...
Well... maybe this is a modern-day fantasy where certain sentient undead really are accepted/tolerated as equal citizens, and Tsukiko is accordingly better-adjusted? An Ugly Americans kinda scenario?

The general problem of translating these characters into modern equivalent is certainly there, though. I'd maintain that Miko is actually a virtually perfect fit for a stratified medieval society with objectively real Gods, and just about everybody else in OOTS is some anachronistic aberration by comparison. Whereas allowing orphaned kids to be raised in monasteries is not something that typically happens in modern societies, and senior military/police are usually subject to more rigorous psychological screening.

Oh, all the others I had absolutely no issues with - excellent re-imaginings. About the only thing is that maybe Roy's weapon should be a bit behind the times, to indicate it is a family heirloom - maybe an old six-shooter? But then, for all I know weapons the rifle you gave him is already an old style Winchester, and I just can't tell.
I'm far from being a gun-wonk myself, so I just gave him what would plausibly be a fairly old-fashioned hunting weapon (I know my dad kept a few shotguns in the closet for this purpose.) But the finer details might be way way off.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
Hitman Therkla?
Oops. Right you are. And thanks!