View Single Post

Thread: A Question of Great Importance

1. - Top - End - #56
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: A Question of Great Importance

The meaning over words can be annoying. Words change meaning over time. So anything can mean anything eventually. Gay was once happy. Thing was once meeting. Pop or soda? Trunk or boot? Is that rad? Is that cool? Is that fly? Is that woke?

This is like the flat earthers saying that a scientific theory cannot be settled because it is a theory. As if naming something changes what it is. I could call gravity soup, and as long as we know what we are all talking about then it is correct.

So basically call whatever you want whatever you want as long as people understand you. Putting a meaning of a word in a dictionary can only slow down the rate of its change.

Now what annoys me to no end if when someone takes concept A, and adds some nonsense to it, comes up with a whole new word for the concept, and wants everyone to call it concept B. Like adding fruit to ice-cream would change it to Darkrose50's improved flibberty-jam. Then some other idjit will add some sprinkles and come up with some other self important nonsense and call the ice-cream with fruit and sprinkles idjit's theory of flibberty-jam with curly-wurly super-smarts. Remember the names and minor improvements for the test.

----

Also if it was not invented by the Earl of Sandwich, than it cannot be a Sandwich. The misappropriation of Sandwich culture disgusts me!

----

Also also . . . a pop-tart is a ravioli!

----

My daughter named knife "shaper" and pitcher "lemonaider". It was adorable, and we knew what she was talking about.
    Last edited by darkrose50; 2019-03-11 at 08:29 AM.