Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
We seem to be talking about at least the rich buying fortified wine, maybe brandy strength fortified wine, by the gallon once or twice a year at least, that impiles to me at least one (small) industrial scale distillation establishment.
Except that the story implies that the Greeks never drank plain undiluted wine (how barbaric!). The typical justification is that their wine was to potent, but that seems extremely unlikely (unless they had some lost easy way to make spirits).

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
I mean, the Romans apparently did intestinal surgery by washing the exposed viscera in warm wine and then stitching everything up, and enough patients survived that they wrote about it. So, there has to be some effect.
Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
I feel like "enough people survived that they wrote about it" is a pretty good descriptor of medicine history in general.
Galen (the guy credited with "all knowledge of medicine" (especially remembered for the humors) in the medieval era, although I sure plenty of that was from later commentaries as well) was a surgeon for gladiators and probably had to deal with that a lot. Anything that allowed you to survive exposed gut wounds was worth writing up.