View Single Post

Thread: Epic Level Game - Chapter 3

1. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Epic Level Game - Chapter 3

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Nimm View Post
    I manipulate the nearby stone (wall of stone) and construct a little fort, 2 or 3 levels high w walls for cover on all levels and arrow slits, reinforcing the crucial areas. M sized entryways on either side. At the top I make a little keep, also w slits, from these slits is where I will launch attacks. Little stairs and ledges communicate to the levels.

"Take cover!" I run up to the little keep at the top

Active buffs :

Aid at level 4 to Danae, myself, and Arcivus.

In addition :

Aid at level 2 to Xavier, Leena, Reli.

Enhance ability : dexterity to myself (snorts stimulant powders).

"This combination of herbs used by local shamans and my proprietary chemicals target the occipital lobe of my brain, the visual cortex." (cast True Sight)
    The Wall of Stone must be composed up 10 10x10 ft panels (6 inch thick stone, AC 15, 180 HP) or 10 10x20 panels (3 inch thick stone, 90 HP). Let me know which you want to go with.

The spell cannot produce the intricacies of slits or spacing smaller than 10 feet, so you can use that for openings (and still use it for cover), but I will allow the stairs effect by introducing a slanted panel that connects the main, second, and third level.

I feel like I want to draw this out. Or you can...

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier Alexis View Post
    As my bonus action, I activate Mantle of Joy (Soothing Presence) and grant Arcivus, Dr. Nimm and Leena 21 temporary hit points.

As my action, I activate Mind Thrust and inflict 4d10+8 (41) psychic damage on the same giant Leena struck once he is within the 120 foot range. A DC 22 Intelligence Save negates the damage.
    The giant takes the full brunt of the damage and now their pace picks up...

Leena fires too more arrows and then takes cover behind the stone wall.

Leena: Good call on the... fortress, or whatever this is.

She strikes the same one twice, this time for 44 combined damage. The giant still stands, but loos very weak.

The giants then use their turn to close in on you, but also to assault Dr. Nimm's defense with boulders picked up scattered around the area.

Boulders start to fly, smashing into the walls all around you. Since only Nimm, Arcivus, and Leena could have acted (and moved) after the wall was erected, they all can take advantage of full cover. Xavier is limited to at most 3/4 cover.

I am trying to visualize this, but let's break down your 10 panels (i tried breaking this down with 10x10 panels and it didn't work, so you made 10 10x20 panels, 3 in thick):
    -2 are being used for stairs.
    -6 creating the front "face" of the wall
    -1 each to create a platform for the second and third levels. Note that the platforms do not cover the whole floor.
    The fort is about 50 feet across and 30 feet high. There are 3 5x5 ft openings on each level.

I drew it out (after multiple attempts). It looks kinda cool. I'll send a pic in Messenger.

Nonetheless, Xavier is struck by a stray boulder for 24, but the others collide into the wall. I am marking the sections 1-6 to keep track of damage. The attacks (randomly) struck these areas (numbered top left to bottom right):

Wall HP:
    1: 39/90
    2: 90/90
    3: 90/90
    4: 26/90
    5: 22/90
    6: 63/90

The bottom right panel is not looking too good. You also notice that there is a troll in the group that did not throw a boulder, but instead closed in closer to the group.

The troll is about 100 feet away, with the other giants (who take larger steps and almost keep up), about 120 feet away (20 feet behind the troll).

Suddenly, after all of that, a large fog appears a little ways in fron of the troll. It is just tall enough (about 20 feet) to cover it and also obscure line of sight to the remaining giants.

You also here loud, deep laughing echo through the cavern. It sounds like it may be coming from the giants, but it... maybe it isn't.

As an aside, Arcivus never reworked his last action, so feel free to redo it. After that, Xavier and then Nimm.

--

Initiative:

Leena: 30 (21 Temp HP, 15 Aid HP)
    Giants: 20
    Xavier: 16 (HP: 143/162 [Aid HP expended])
    Nimm: 14 (21 Temp HP, 15 Aid HP))
    ???: 12 (don't worry about this little guy right here)
    Arcivus: 5 (21 Temp HP, 15 Aid HP)
    Last edited by DM7581; 2019-03-31 at 05:52 PM.
    Spoiler: Current Level/XP
    Show

Arcivus
    XP: 440,000/445,000
    Effective Level: 22

Dr. Nimm
    XP: 590,000/595,000
    Effective Level: 27

Xavier
    XP: 635,000/655,000
    Effective Level: 29