Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
I'd say dude can be gendered on context.

For instance, if you say to a mixed-gender group "Dudes to the left, chicks to the right," it's clear you're using dude as a masculine. But if you say to the same group "Alright, you dudes ready to rock?!" then it's clear that you're asking ALL of them about their preparedness for stone.

The main issue I have with dude is that it's not terribly respectful-I'd get in trouble at work if I called everyone dude! But chief works, methinks.
Right, I acknowledged that from the outset. I'm not sure what everyone's hang up here is. The thing is, it isn't inherently gender neutral anymore and it wouldn't be (regardless of what it was before)if it entered common parlance as a respectful way to greet someone in a non-gendered way. Which it is.

As to the "politeness" thing...that's a hang up with people. Language changes and if people started using it in a polite context then the word would change. It'd take time but it would. It'd at least dodge people whinging about people using It (because it's an object and we're not objects...except we are) or They because they (the singular they) can't wrap their heads around it not being a third person plural pronoun.