Quote Originally Posted by sophontteks View Post
A lot of people were executed for casting charms and spells on other people, and not a single one of them really cast a spell or charm. So, I'm sure a lot of innocent people are killed for charming others. There isn't really any burden of proof here. Is the miller a trustworthy, upstanding person? Do others collaborate with the story? I can see casting charm person really quickly turning into a witch hunt, and at that point its better for the authorities to just go with it rather then risk a riot.
Such witchhunts were usually predicated on the supposition that the caster got their powers in deal with the devil.

so, unless that's a reasonable assumption for the setting, I'd say that its not really comparable.

Even then, people in the middle ages were sometimes executed for *making* accusations of witchcraft. It all depends on context.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigreid View Post
Honestly, I think you would feel pretty much the same way you would feel if you were conned. So, you'd not be likely to trust that person in the future and beyond that your reaction would be proportional to how taken advantage of you feel you were.
Right, I think the quesiton of what you actually did to them is very very important. If you stole a few coins from them, they'll be pissed. If you made them fail their guard duty, they'll be mortified and might never report it.