1. - Top - End - #721
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Rogue-likes! (not a discussion of the correct use of the term)

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    I'm in the very early (read: brainstorming) stages of developing a roguelike, and I have the capstone ability for exactly one class. The class is called the "reaper" and the capstone ability is (tentatively) called "Death's Bounty" even though that name doesn't quite fit with what the ability does.

Spoiler: Death's Bounty
    Show
    Deals damage to one target equal to a random* amount between half their current hitpoints, rounded down, and half their maximum hitpoints, rounded up.

*equal chance for any amount of damage within that range; I believe this distribution is called "linear."

I'd like ideas for capstone-abilities for other classes. They should be roughly equivalent in power to Death's Bounty.
    Interesting. So it's an instant kill on almost anything with 33% HP or less.

Not sure what the specifics are to your roguelike, but you could do something like these:

• Taking lethal damage first has you make an attack against the target. If it kills the target, you gain HP equal to the number of excessive damage you dealt over the target's HP. Then you take damage from the target's attack as normal.
    • When you slay a target, you convert their soul into a ghost. It is hostile to all creatures that are not you, and you can see creatures adjacent to it. You can attack a ghost to instantly kill it and gain its HP as your own.
    • If you have less than 50% HP, you have a 50% chance to automatically dodge an attack and deal 50% more damage. Otherwise, your attacks have 50% lifesteal.
    • If you hit a creature with a ranged attack, you can teleport to that creature and make an extra attack against them. This extra attack is a critical hit. This ability only has a cooldown if you kill a creature with it.

The idea of them is to incentivize reckless behavior. Roguelike players love to play it safe, and having abilities that actually allow you to play recklessly will create multiple different ways of playing. Do you play it slow and safe, or do you rush ahead and use your reckless features to their full potential?
    Last edited by Man_Over_Game; 2019-05-08 at 01:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas Iíve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. Youíre a gem of the community here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post

5th Edition Homebrewery

Prestige Options, changing primary attributes while maintaining balance with default options.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!