Quote Originally Posted by jh12 View Post
I'm not sure how I would have tried to justify casting Charm Person or any other spell on an unwilling victim, but likening it to medieval nobles raping the peasants certainly isn't the way I would have gone. Now let's think about the Dungeons and Dragons alignment system. What kind of characters think that might makes right and they can do whatever they want without regard for how it harms others? Certainly not the good ones.

And if might makes right, why do you care that anyone would be offended by Charm Person and try to kill you? As Themrys has already pointed out, the response to Charm Person would be governed by exactly the same rules. If they are strong enough to do it, they deserve to do it, right? There's no need for laws, just nature, red in tooth and claw. Heck, in that situation people wouldn't even have to wait for wizards to abuse their powers--just the potential would be enough to justify a pogrom of wizards.
The potential for wizards to abuse their power is already a thing in some campaign settings where they are controlled and magic is regulated. Even within the same setting, people have different concepts of right and wrong, legal and immoral. If they feel violated and are strong enough to seek revenge, welcome to medieval society. Just don't kill anyone important or you'll end up in jail.

How does his education level and competence at the magic he practices give him the right to decide who I should be friendly acquaintances with? If anything, all that studying has stunted his level of level of social development, making him absolutely the last person who should be making decisions about who I should be friends with.
The same way a doctor's education level gives him the right to decide treatments for patients, even should they be mind-altering or potentially lethal. Granted he has to pass a medical exam and gain a license, but what exactly do you think people do in wizard college? There are even settings where not having a license to practice magic makes it banned.

You realize that in any case where the lawyer decides whether he is representing guilty or innocent people, a private criminal defense attorney, the clients get to pick the lawyers too, right? The lawyer doesn't just walk up to a client and say, "I'm defending you."

And while I couldn't do it, defense attorneys who represent people they believe to be guilty are still fulfilling a vital role in the justice system. Casting Charm Person to make someone like you isn't fulfilling any vital role at all.
This was part of the same point as the wizard for a reason. Lawyers receive the same education and granted rights associated with it as a wizard might. While a lawyer is chosen, he is also sometimes appointed. He can also take matters into his own hands when the person is deemed incompetent. His ability to choose between good and evil pertains to his knowledge of the law and how it's far from black and white. Casting Charm Person may not fulfill a societal role but how is helping a witnessed murderer escape justice doing that? Seems more like anti-societal aid yet permission exists for it.

This is 100% unambiguously incorrect. His muscles might allow him to eject an unruly bar patron, but they don't give him the right. What gives him the right to eject unruly patrons is property right of the bar's owner.
If he's hired, he requires might. Without might, he has no right to attempt to dispose of unruly patrons. Even when not hired, there have been many incidents at bars where I or another person has had to step in and throw out the unruly patron or subdue someone causing a scene. Was a hired by the bartender for this? No, my muscles and propensity for meeting out justice say it all. If anyone disagrees, feel free to throw me out too. If you can.

And I'm morbidly curious to hear what you think about the Suggestion spell.
Per the Suggestion spell:

The suggestion must be worded in such a manner as to make the course of action sound reasonable. Asking the creature to stab itself, throw itself onto a spear, immolate itself, or do some other obviously harmful act ends the spell.

If the suggestion is reasonable to the person being suggested, it obeys. If it is not, or harms itself in any way, it does not. In what universe would this spell allow anyone to rape someone unless the idea of intercourse with the caster was already a reasonable suggestion to them? It falls under obviously harmful acts otherwise.