So I really enjoy the wheel of time series, so I was wanting to adapt a version of Mat’s luck in DnD 5e, probably pulling from the built in Luck feat. So the basic premise would be you get Luck charges, 3 per day, and can store up to 3x your level. Each charge will be like Luck where it adds a die and let’s you choose from them all.
So far this is just luck with a high capacity so there needs to be some balancing factor.
One thought I had was to add the caveat that if the any luck dice rolls a 1, you are forced to take that 1. Which leads into some sort of chaotic factor from the Luck. It also makes it pretty fun because you can really mess something up, making the Luck dice a risk every time to you them.
That seems like a good thing to add but doesn’t seem enough to balance the ability. Maybe something like this takes up every ASI/feat, or just that each ASI/feat increases the capacity going from 15/30/50/90 or something like that.
Another idea is to make this a rogue subclass ability, taking out a lot of bonuses one might get and giving this instead.
Those were a few of the balance ideas I had, I was wondering what people thought of these and what you all could think of. I think this Luck themed character could be a lot of fun but it risks being too powerful and will be really tricky to balance properly.
Thanks in advance!