View Single Post

Thread: The new general "Dominions 5" Thread

1. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The new general "Dominions 5" Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    On the other hand, look at arcosephale. They have recruit everywhere mystics with guaranteed S and some shots at SWEF. The proposed pokemon are X3 but take 60 XP to get there (pikachu A2 for 40 XP) and the humans are X2Y1 with a 20% chance of them lining up for X3. Most importantly they get no blood, astral, or death. Earth is also strong but the lack of any armor makes Legions of steel useless.

I think we'll have to see the nation as a whole to evaluate it. They do have pretty good fort recruit mages and potential thug chassis but with some caveats. Maybe the diversity is too much but I don't want to make several nations right now.
    Arco is precisely a fine example of "excellent mages, crapish troops". Mystics are a serious candidate for best non-cap mages in the whole game. But they're significantly held back by so-so national troops and no thug chassis either.

Even if they get no blood/astral/death, something like MA Ulm shows that simple E2/something 1 mages can be pretty brutal. Summon Earth power and then go to town with magma spells, Strength of Giants, Blade Wind, Marble Warriors, Rain of Stones, Earth Meld, Maws of the Earth, etc. Lack of Legions of Steel is hardly a problem. Lots of A2 mages spamming lighting wins games. Fire 2 goes to town with Phoenix power then fire elemental spam or plain blasting. W2 is for quickening and ice strike and fighting underwater. I'm hardly taking in account any crosspaths here.

And you don't need to make multiple nations at once, just pick your favorite element/city/gym and start there.

Or if you really insist in 20% of non-cap mages to get level 3 magic in one of 5 paths of your choice, then at least add the terrain limitations mentioned before (with the cap able to recruit any).

Forests-Nature.
    Coast-Water.
    Mountains-earth.
    Wasteland-fire.
    Plains-Air.

There, at least that way you can't just spam the right element to hard counter your current opponent.
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-05-22 at 09:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."