Quote Originally Posted by russdm View Post
Actually, I think this wrong, and the GM may never intended really for the players to make it to Haven, certainly head in that direction. It's Tanis who suggests that the companions go to Haven, or one of the group, but neither Goldmoon or Riverwind suggest doing so. There isn't any real discussion beyond, from what i recall, that there could be answers in Haven.

The Party gets involved to mainly stop Goldmoon from being burnt as a witch, and promptly gets swept up in joining her going somewhere. Tanis (I think it was in the book) suggests there may answers for the staff in Haven, and so the group simply goes that way. Later, of course, we find Darken Wood is in the same general area of direction, luckily for the GM who promptly convinces them to try an alternate route employing the huge number of draconians coming towards them.

In reality, the entire story is the play through of the first Dragonlance Modules by the Module Designers and some of their friends. As such, it completely adheres to the plot as written down in the game modules. It stays that way until later when the story takes first place with the adventure module plots being forced to follow the book. This is all mentioned at a few points in the Annotations in the book.

I am surprised that few of the annotations are showing up in the read through, since there are a good number of them. They can be put into spoilers to all for reading if people want to or not, but they really help explain the thinking of the writers really well.
Actually, goldmoon and riverwind were originally planning on heading to Haven before the Theocrat botched things up. They hold out some vague hope that the actual Highseekers weren't corrupt and could actually help them figure out what the heck the deal with the staff was.