1. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Wall of Fear: A Complete Guide to the Oath of Conquest

Does being knocked unconscious satisfy remaining within line of sight of your enemies?

An interesting thing happened yesterday during my group's dnd session. The party found themselves on the wrong end of a very nasty surprise round. When it was my character's turn, I was at 1 hp, with only 5 points of lay on hands at the bank and surrounded by several enemies. I used conquering presence and later on the same round I took a hit and was knocked unconscious. Now, conquering presence is very explicit about when it stops affecting an enemy (the enemy must succeed at a wisdom save to get rid of the frightened condition), and the frightened condition specifies that the affected creature has disadvantage on attacks and checks while the source of its fear is within line of sight. So even while my character was laying on the ground, the frightened enemies still suffered from disadvantage during several of the subsequent turns. Or at least that's how we ruled it (asked the question in the RAW thread to see if that's a correct interpretation; Q 305). We fluffed it as the enemies being distracted because they constantly glanced behind them to see if my character was still out of the fight. The point is, that conquering presence allowed me to impact combat during rounds where my character was unconscious, so that's some nice situational value one could squeeze out of this feature. Be careful though, because this could be a double-edged knife, as it could give more reason to a DM to have the enemies attack an unconscious pc (though would death break line of sight?).

Edit: Thinking about it a bit more (and without having received yet an answer in the RAW thread), I think it all comes down to if an unconscious/dead creature stops qualifying as a source of fear or not. I can't see anything in RAW suggesting that it does, but RAI could go either way as far as I am concerned. I'll edit in a spoiler below the answer I'll get from the RAW thread.
    Last edited by Corran; 2019-06-15 at 04:00 AM.
    Hacks!