Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
One thing that does irritate me, however, is the Rogue Tax.

You know the one. Those extra treasure chests that you can only open if you brought the one class that all the "opening boxes" skills were parcelled off to.

They usually don't even have anything all that good in them.

But it's super annoying not being able to have them, especially if they're in areas you can't go back to. Doubly so if they're early on in the game when resources are usually at their tightest.

It doesn't generally get applied to any other class. Probably because it's too much effort to figure out what, precisely, you can't do if you didn't bring a Paladin (or local equivalent).
I would describe that mostly as 'rogue fomo', because in practice there's almost never a game designer which puts anything meaningful or powerful or important in those locked containers. I remember having a discussion related to this when people would extol the virtues of the lockpicking and hacking perks in Fallout 4. Everyone would universally agree that the contents you could access using these talents were marginally useful at best, yet many, many people would continue to rate these as 'high value talents'.

I think World of Warcraft had the best implementation of lockpicking in a game. Locked doors offered shortcuts in dungeon content which could be very useful, and lock boxes gave rogues an opportunity to help teammates and friends, as well as enrich themselves. Yet none of these features were powerful enough to make Rogues "mandatory".