Quote Originally Posted by DodgerH2O View Post
Thank you so much for writing these. The emergent stories you get from this type of game are one of the best parts and I quite enjoy the narrative.
Thanks - I'm just glad anyone reads along =)

Game 5, Uriels 1st Heavy Infantry:

Since this is my own journal, I'll be honest here: I never liked Wiedekampf. Sure, I made him sergeant, but that was mostly because he's undeniably courageous - and he has the loudest shouting voice in the company.

But despite my personal dislike for the man, losing him was a blow. It truly wasn't ideal. Having the guy meant to keep the company fighting when a battle goes sour fall first is bad - having to run because he fell, leaving my standard behind is .. nothing short of catastrophic. Bloody orcs. Dammit!

I met Walter's Company at the inn last time. Old Walter is as resoundlingly spiteful an old bastard as you could ever hope to meet - or, you know, hope to see first and avoid meeting. So he comes up and asks me: 'Hey, where's that useless sergeant of your - Weissman, or something? Didn't he carry that standard you're so fond of waving around?'

I would have let it go, truly. If he hadn't then gone on to add, in his most patronizing voice: 'Hey, I thought I should warn you - orcs and goblins are just swarming out there!'

So it wasn't the best tavern brawl ever - there was that one time in Eisenstein - but it's definitely in my top five favorite fights of my life. I broke Walters nose on my first blow, and with the men good and angry already, we sent both Walter and his Company packing with their tails between their legs. It did wonders to restore morals. Now, however, I'll need to look for a new sergeant.

And he'll want a raise too. Dammit!