Quote Originally Posted by Dessunri View Post
I want to play a female Wood Elf fighter. I don't have too much of a backstory for her except that she went against her families wishes in becoming a fighter, they wanted her to find a husband and raise a family. She is a dex based fighter with a rapier and isn't a very open person. I don't even have a name for her yet. I'd appreciate your help with a backstory! I know I haven't given you much to go on; but, maybe a blank slate is the best way to start?
EDIT if it helps, i'll be picking up a couple spells as I level her up via the Ritual Caster feat and the Wood Elf Magic feat. I'll build her as a pure, battle master fighter. Her alignment would be good of some sort, not likely lawful.
It's another short one, but once again, felt like it was easy to get into her head space...
I enjoyed the idea of conflict with the family (that part was easy!)...
But I wanted to dive deeper, so... I mended fences at the end... To give an emotional tie to it all.
Please let me know what you like or dislike - any feedback is welcome!
Enjoy!
======================================
Elarwyn Forest.

This used to be my home. It feels strange coming back.

Six years ago, my family and I parted on less than… pleasant ways.

“Salyna,” I could hear my mother saying, “it’s almost time for you to find someone. To settle down. Bare children.”

I was not like my mother. When she was young, she had fallen in love with my father, and they had six children – myself being the youngest among them.

When I was young, I was already wrestling with my two older brothers. My mother would come rushing out and break us apart.

“That’s no way for a woman to act!” she would say, shaking her finger at me.

“I am not a woman, yet, mother!” I’d bark back. “I am just a girl!”

“If other boys see you playing like that,” she would counter, “they will remember that when you get older and think how un-lady like you were acting!”

“Good!” I would laugh, “If I scared them, then they wouldn’t be a good fit for me!”

The play fighting between my brothers and I never stopped. As we got older, they would show me how to use a rapier since in Elarwyn, women were not allowed to learn how to fight since that was not their place. My brothers, like me, thought that the idea of not teaching a woman to fight was ridiculous. Evil came in all forms, whether it was a marauding band of Red Eye Orcs, or even one of our own – everyone should learn how to defend themselves.

The problem was, I was interested in more than defending myself. I was interested in fighting and joining the front lines against the Red Eye Orcs. Despite my proven skill, thanks to my brothers, when I presented the idea of me joining the ranks, I was declined without even considering my skill (even though I had bested six of the eight men who they sent against me to test my skill).

That had been the final straw, and that’s when I left to go out to the world beyond the forest and see if I could join others who would accept me for who I am despite my race or my gender, and accept me for my skill.

As I suspected, in the world beyond the woods, there were others like me – others who sought out adventure. Not all of them used swords; some used magic; some used their fists. But it was refreshing to know that I had not made a mistake.

But tonight, it’s not about telling my parents that I was right. The reason I had come back to Elarwyn Forest was because my father had fallen grievously ill and was not expected to live for much longer.

I met up with four of my brothers (Taris, the second oldest, had died a few years ago, while patrolling the border of the forest). I didn’t even know my brother had died, until tonight, when I met with my other brothers. Apparently, my mother had told my brothers that she had sent word for me, but that I had declined to come because I was “too busy.”

I was angry to learn this. But when we got to our home in the woods, all of that anger was set aside. My father, in bed, pale as the moon, my mother so thin, she looked like a twig, because she had stopped eating the day my father grew ill… It was impossible to stay angry.

We stayed for six night, and on the sixth night, my father, with all of us around him, breathed his final breath.

There was a ceremony and a celebration of life, where we all spoke of the many stories that revolved around my father.

During the Celebration of Life, my mother had approached me and apologized, both for the way she treated me, and for never telling me about Taris’ death.

I smiled at my mother, and told her I understood.

She asked, knowing the answer, if I would be staying long.

My name is Salyna Moonglade, and I am a woman who has grown up fighting against the odds and learning to live and fight in the world beyond my home. I have lost my father, one of my brothers, and my home, but I never lost sight of who I am.