Quote Originally Posted by Worldsong View Post
The important difference there is that with Xykon and Redcloack it's long since been foreshadowed that their plans aren't as likely to work as they think they are. It's a part of the story that Redcloak has long since been planning to use the Snarl for TDO rather than Xykon's attempts at becoming the ruler of the world and it's also a part of the plot that Redcloak's plan isn't nearly as reliable as he'd like to think it is and that he's mainly motivated by the fact that he can't accept that all the sacrifices he's made so far would be for nothing.

With Hel's plan not working it'd be different since every single character who knows about it treats it as a real threat, including the gods themselves. Having her plan suddenly turn out to not work at all would be a whole lot different than with Xykon and Redcloak.

Also neither of those characters are not literal gods, and even if Hel has been deprived of proper nutrition I'd still give a god a couple more points in being aware whether a plan stands a chance of working or not, especially if no other god appears ready to point out to her that there might be a fatal flaw in there.
I'll point you to this other post

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy hedgehog View Post
I'm not sure if Loki even had/needed a plan.
They've made millions of these worlds, and this is just one of the millions that will come after it.
It's not all that different than my friends and I sitting down and playing a board game.
And someone saying, "I bet you can't win without going hard economy."
Other than, it's a little more enforced into the game rules.

Additionally, I'm not sure how much Hel even considers this a flaw.
It's literally causing her to go crazy.
Obviously she'd much rather get all the souls.
But I think (and I'm speculating here) that given the choice, Hel would rather end this world, and give up all of the souls, than let it keep going.

To continue my board game metaphor:
At some point in the game you've realized you've lost.
You've lost so hard, in fact, that it's stopped being fun.
You may as well end this one, and take the loss, so you can't start a new one.
But you may as well make a Hail Mary, an all in attempt, first.
Which is pretty much what Hel is doing.
So yeah, Hel's in a losing position where she really doesn't have any good options left. She can't escape the bet while the current world lasts. If the Snarl gets properly trapped, Hel is stuck with soul starvation for an indefenite amount of time. The whole "get dwarves to vote for the world to be destroyed then get all their souls" is a desperate gambit where lots of things could go wrong and chances of success are low, but even if Hel didn't get a single soul, if she can get this world destroyed and start a new game world where she won't be limited by the bet anymore it would still be an improvement for her position.

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
And that italicized part is IMO a flaw in Hel's plan, though perhaps an indirect one. For the gods who have created millions of worlds, and have had to thanks to the snarl, all gods benefit from a situation where the Snarl can finally be contained. That benefits Hel as well as all of the other gods. Her plan's flaw, in this perspective, is rooted in hr inability to (1) look to the long term, and (2) to look past her own desires.
Thing is, if this world endures, Hel remains stuck with the bet where she only gets soul scraps if that.

Maybe it's beneficial for the gods as a whole in average, but for Hel in particular it would mean being stuck at the bottom of the divine hierarchy for countless eons.

Plus she already survived the snarl for a zillion iterations, what's a zillion more?