Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrys View Post
Most of the spells I've seen don't force recurring saves, if you fail the initial save you're affected by the spell for a full minute and if you critically fail the save you get affected by it longer or harsher.
See the list above. Spells like web or slow only get their 1E/2E/3E effect on a crit-fail.

Let's go over your examples, shall we?
  • Black Tentacles got its level increased to 5, takes a full round to cast, doesn't grab creatures entering the area (unless they end their turn there), no longer prevents held creatures from attacking, and you can attempt to escape three times per round (instead of once).
  • Resilient Sphere still traps ONE creature, not creatures; I have no idea why you think a victim has to move to hit the sphere; and of course a 10-hp sphere goes down in one hit (whereas its 1E/2E/3E version is immune to most attacks, because that's the whole point). It also has its duration reduced, and no longer works on huge creatures.
  • Blindness has its level increased to 3, its range severely reduced, and the "+10 to all saves" keyword.
  • Solid Fog takes a full round to cast, has a much shorter duration, and no longer negates missile attacks (although it does give concealment).

Regardless of how these compare to earlier editions, the only one I'd consider using is Black Tentacles.