Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
Oh, this happened all the time as a kid. Hid from the Darleks and left my accent behind the sofa
Ah, I see

Look, when you're looking for secondhand magic items you take what you can find.
Fair. They're secondhand for a reason, though, usually.

Yeah, I know the feelings. I have it bad enough with the family just in twoish parts, I can't imagine the exhuastion from four.
I mean, technically it's two parts... just each of those parts have the immediate family, which involves preliminary visiting, and then the family who shows up just for the dinner part. But, yeah. Last Christmas-y season, with Birthdays (there're two of them in that stretch, one of them mine), and Christmas, and all of that... I ended up with, like, seven family events in ten days. By the end of it I was just done.

I mean, I also lost the success, and trust me when I say it isn't down the back of the sofa (that's the printer). Or under the bed, or any of the other locations I tend to leave stuff.

I mean, I know statistically I'm likely to find somebody else within the next six decades of my life (if I can lose enough weight to make it six), but that doesn't really help with feeling lonely now, and I've got a good enough STEM education to know that while you conform to probability over a large enough population, it's kind of hard to over a single data point
Don't worry. It'll be in the last place that you look. I guarantee it.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
I mean that's okay too. You'll get through it!

I'll admit I'm like the worst person to give advice, but I still think keeping a positive outfit is going to be the best bet in the long wrong.
Expect the best, prepare for the worst. But don't just assume it's gonna be bad... while you might get pleasantly surprised, it just means you're miserable every moment until it happens.

I've apparently got a noticable Canadian accent according to some American friends of mine, but I feel like I've gotta slip out of it every so often. I did notice I've got a lisp though, and it's actually pretty annoying.
I've not noticed the lisp, at least, so you're good on that in that it's not annoying to others. (And while the accent is noticeable compared to the... I guess North-Western American that mine would be equivalent to, it's not like it's unintelligible or anything. Just gives it a bit of zest.)

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
That can mean anything from sounding like you're in the movie Fargo to sounding completely unaccented but constantly talking about hockey and kilometers.
Or just saying "eh?" instead of "huh?"
(I'm in that weird spot where I had a lot of American friends of my parents around growing up, so I genuinely can never remember whether 'soda' or 'pop' is the Canadian one, or 'washroom' vs 'bathroom' or whatever. Both sound equally natural to me.)

In general, the stronger your 'Canadian' accent, the farther East you are.