View Single Post

Thread: Dragon's Soul Homebrew Class Review

1. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Dragon's Soul Homebrew Class Review

Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    The number of spell slots is listed as the full progression, which is why I misread it. You should still reduce both that and the spell level to 1/3, same as the Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster have. Considering this is a Path feature, it really should act like those.
    So looking over this I see my big mistake. I was basing everything off of half caster classes instead of the third caster subclasses. The entire subclass has been reworked to be based off the sorcerer spell casting instead of warlock since there aren't really any warlock style examples. I've also reworked some of the features to improve flavor and adjust based on the third caster sublcass instead. so now at 15th level class gets upgrades to the familiar and can use a pseudodragon familiar in ways no other class can, and now the 20th level capstone is an upgraded version of the wizards spell mastery since it comes at 20 instead of 18.
    Weakening Breath and Paralyzing breath are missing the level requirement, and I'd push Paralyzing breath back to 18th level. Note that Hold Monster requires concentration and can't hit multiple targets as regularly.

In contrast I'd drop Repulsing breath down to 12th level, so there isn't as big a clump of evolutions at 15th.
    Sleep and slowing are staying at 15, paralyzing breath was moved to 18, and repulsion and weakening have been reduced to 12.
    Dragon's Eyes should have a radius it applies in, and I'd also push it back to 18th. Alternatively, you could grant darkvision or the effects of the See Invisibility spell well before 15th level. That could also be a prerequisite for Dragon's Eyes, given how insanely strong Truesight is. In comparison, True Seeing is a 6th level spell and lasts 1/24 the time.
    Added prerequisite, radius, and enhanced senses prerequisite.
    I missed this before, but Tactical Breath says the breath can be "centered on your target," which isn't clear. If that isn't supposed to read "centered on yourself," I would say "centered on a target within X feet of you."
    I agree and this has been updated. I adjusted the radius down to 10ft when using this, and have the range at 30ft to target.
    I would standardize ability score requirements with existing material, and make the prerequisite 13th level.
    Updated
    Overall I think this class is really cool flavor wise. There's just some wonky stuff from the way Invocations/Evolutions work.
    Thanks! I've had this in the back of my head for a while, and now I have a game coming up and am hoping to get it all worked up so I can play test it.
    Last edited by TheClaimer; 2019-08-20 at 02:54 PM.