Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
I'd say that there's some sort of vague power that makes it so that whenever someone considers making a church of Hel, with clerics and living worshipers, they suddenly get the thought interrupted and start thinking about something unrelated.

Or maybe there's something in the water.

Hel is probably getting lots of belief because she is part of plenty of scary stories parents tell their children to keep them in line. "Don't steal, because that's dishonorable and then Hel will get you!" "If you lie, Hel's going to come out at night with her death giants and pluck you right out of bed!"
It could be mortals, especially evil ones, go where the power is. And while worshipping a God who can't bestow spells or anything to her clerics might get some hipster cred, the Church of Fenrir, Loki, Thrym, Surtr, or any other evil God can give the clerics power.
What Hel needs is dwarves to set up prayers for the dishonoured, asking Hel to be lenient to those who died in shame. While she won't get as much worship as she did before, maybe now she'll be more grateful for it.
Of course it's very likely she'll try to get Curly to vamp Hilgya out of spite and for everything to go horribly wrong.

As for my previous ragging on Thrym... Maybe I'm being a bit harsh. I did try and script out a conversation with Thor and him about getting his act together and resuming old hobbies... But the only hobby I could really think of was 'fighting Thor', which probably wouldn't be healthy either.