Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
You are just not paying attention.

Rey was a reasonably capable person in many ways from the get go and had sufficient motivation and means to learn skills. We have good reasons to expect her to be more competent than Luke in most every respect, with the notable exception of piloting skills. The piloting bit, I do find annoying. Alas it has been established in this universe that very strong Force users can be magically good at all sorts of things -- that makes me want to upchuck, but it is what it is.

Yes, George loved Luke and George loved Anakin, and we held our nose and accepted a lot of nonsense. Rey is not much of a deviation from in universe precedent, unfortunately -- I wish she were more so.
No, you're not paying attention.

In the 6 previous movies, they way you learned to use the Force was being taught by a Jedi Master. The most anyone could do with the Force without such training was a little bit of anticipation of the future while flying.

How many different ways did Rey use the Force in The Mary Sue Returns, or whatever the heck it was called?

"We have good reasons to expect her to be more competent than Luke in most every respect, with the notable exception of piloting skills"? Really, why?

She was a scavenger, living on the edge, in the middle of nowhere. She had no time for anything that wasn't immediately related to her survival, and no one to learn from other than herself. This is not how you become someone with a wide range of skills.