Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
He was definitely going insane before Bane returned but yeah, Bane did push him into thinking "Hey, blowing up this force killing bomb is a good idea!"

I'm pretty sure the emperor was a Sith (maybe not a member of the still-extant species but he was a high-powered dark side user leading an empire of people called Sith), and I did forget that he didn't exist when the novels were written, but you know Watsonian perspective, the Sith Empire still existed, but no one felt like mentioning it until he was created. And the Sith were better at working together, but they were still very good at tearing each other apart, I'm not sure I can say they were any better. I think they had a very good chance of winning if they killed the Army of Light, but the campaign would have ground both down to very little, whoever won would be pretty weak, and there were still quite a few high-power Jedi outside of the planet, and every single high-powered Sith was on Ruusan, its reasonable to think that either the Army would get reinforcements or just win, or that it would be pretty hard to take over the republic after taking out the Jedi.
I'll concede that the the Brotherhood of Darkness wasn't the most efficient iteration of the Sith Order.
But it certainly wasn't the worst as Bane thought. It probably was the sanest though.

Patience was very important and I don't think Bane really understood that, but you also have to take initiative, give corporations more rights, take control of the businesses, bribe the government and get yourself elected before creating an emergency
That was Sidious' plan, not Bane's. Bane's plan amounted to "be as stealthy as possible while stirring as much toruble for the Republic and the Jedi as possible and wait for an opportunity to arise". In fact, Darth Plagueis basically states that far from all acting the same millenium-long plan each successive Dark Lord had their own idea of how to take over the Galaxy and all were murdered by their apprentice before fullfilling it (except Sidous, obviously). Which was a big flaw of Bane's reformation in hidsight.
and well Bane didn't think Zannah was poisoning him did he. He was wrong, but Zannah was in fact looking for an apprentice and wary of Bane tricking her into thinking he was weak.
I'm not sure I understand your point here.

I find it hard to find the line between "never wants to die" and "will be fanatically devoted into ensuring that his apprentice is powerful enough to kill him by fighting as hard as possible to live", which I think makes Occam's razor fall in my favor considering that his thought processes (which we saw) are much more in line with the latter, and in book two he tried to get her to kill him rather than surrender to the Jedi.
The Jedi were going to kill him no matter what so it was basically a choice between being avenged in the future or not. The thing is becoming a body-snatcher makes it impossible for his apprentice to kill him, it's self defeating.

Not choosing a battlefield that disadvantages you counts as outsmarting, and then using the battlefield to the advantage, counts as outsmarting in my book (though not by any overwhelming force).
Didn't she beat him by using her energy tentacles of death or something?

It says that they defeated him, which unless Knock-off Zannah used the exact same strategy as in Legends means they killed him, though it is less certain than I made it out to be.
"It" is not a source. Wookieepedia states that the Jedi "defeated him" which could mean anything and that "Although historical records were not accurate about [...] how Bane died, it seemed possible he was murdered by his student".

I guess that is true, though they are all pre-Rule of Two
One of them does kill his master, though.

And I must say I love the direction this thread is going, the Bane books are some of my favorite and debating star wars without discussing genocide or sexism is fun.
Seconded.