View Single Post

Thread: Who Will Kill Xykon?

1. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Who Will Kill Xykon?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyEowyn View Post
    I’d certainly prefer a destroyed-by-the-Snarl ending for Belkar to a redemption-equals-death one. I don’t think he’s nearly close enough to even regretting the multitudinous amounts of murder, slave-trading, etc. that he’s done for lulz, much less genuinely repenting of it or wanting to atone, to be considered non-evil. Heck, I doubt he even remembers a lot of it (or remembers it with sentiments other than “Heh, good times...).

But I don’t really expect Redcloak to get a redemption arc either. I would love it if he did - not even necessarily becoming non-evil, just becoming on the same side as the protagonists, achieving his goal of goblinoid equality, and coming to terms with the wrong choices he’s made - but I don’t expect it. When you look at Miko, Tsukiko, and others, Rich is not kind to characters who practice self-deception.
    So making Gobbotopia a reality that's recognized by other nations doesn't count for anything?

Redcloak has already succeeded in making goblins somebody you negotiate with and have diplomatic/trading relationships with instead of just xp fodder.

That it demanded allying with a bloodthirsty lich and carving a path of death and destruction accross one of the nations that frequently hunted goblins, so be it. They were made an example of, allowing Redcloak to declare "You saw what we did to Azure city and your puny 'liberation' force? Good. Now we're open to do peaceful negotiations and agreements as an alternative for mutual benefit. Or I can point Xykon your way next. Choose wisely."
    Last edited by deuterio12; 2019-08-25 at 08:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "You know, Durkon, I built this planet up from nothing. When I started here, all there was was a snarl. All the other gods said we were daft to build a planet over a snarl, but I built it all the same, just to show then. It got eaten by the snarl...

...so we built a five millionth, three hundreth, twenty first one. That one burned down, fell over, then got eaten by the snarl, but the five millionth, three hundreth, and twenty second one stayed up! Or at least, it has been until now."