Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze View Post
Don't be too harsh on GMs running "dumb" enemies using effective tactics, after all many Int 8 PCs use brutally efficient team tactics.
Certainly not doing that. Just stating what I do with things that cannot identify a mage or cleric.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lampert View Post
The fact of the matter is, almost everything in D&D land is smart enough to employ decent tactics.
I strongly disagree. Most things cannot identify a mage/cleric in the party and know that they should be the primary target.

Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
Even wolves don't have hunting strategies that reduce to "attack nearest thing."

That orc with 7 Int? They possess instincts honed by a lifetime of warfare, and were trained as a soldier in a battle-hardened warrior society, taught tried and true strategies developed over generations of trial and error in battle. They know what a spellcaster is and why it matters as surely as any modern soldier can recognize a tank, sniper, grenade, or artillery emplacement and has at least some idea of the correct way to respond.

A low intelligence score is not a good excuse to play creatures like badly programmed videogame zombies.
Wolves cannot identify a mage and single them out as the most dangerous, targeting them first. That's not something wolves do in the slightest.

You and I disagree on the amount of training an orc has. Orcs are certainly not seasoned veterans of war. They only have 2 HD.