Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
I'll be sure to tell Tarantino he's been doing it wrong, then.
Not based on anything I said. All I said is that there is a legitimate movie-making technique he's not using -- which he already knows.

Not all movies use all techniques, and not all techniques are good for all movies. There are no CGI dinosaurs in Titanic, no product placement in The Three Musketeers; no sword-fighting in The Wizard of Oz. Those legitimate movie-making techniques don't fit those particular movies. If Tarantino thinks product placement won't enhance his movies, I haven't said that he's making them wrong.

There is no logical connection from anything I've said about product placementto the conclusion that movies without it are being made wrong.

Pretending somebody said something they didn't say doesn't not further the discussion in any useful direction.

If everyone in the movie reacts to a Greenhilt like they would to a BMW, then it kinda does.
Only if other people are in the scene, and visibly reacting. If somebody drives up in a Honda, to a street where every other car is a BMW, Mercedes, or Lexus, then the audience has been given some information before any person has been shown onscreen.

When a character walks into a bar, the beers people are drinking are often used to indicate the socio-economic status of the bar, with nobody reacting to them at all -- because they see it every week.

What we know about products, and who uses them, is often used to set a mood without any audience reaction at all.

For the record, I actually agree with this, to an extent.
Yes, I agree with you to a certain extent, also. Product placement is a way to set a mood or a location, but it isn't the only one. Tarantino might be correct that the potential benefit might not offset any negative he perceives. Or maybe the first person who tried to get him to do it had a bad specific idea, and he was put off the idea forever.

I certainly agree that it can be badly done. If you distract from your story to have the character who is usually picky about whether his vodka martini is shaken or stirred suddenly get a Coke and repeat their slogan, "It's the real thing," then you've broken his characterization and probably the audience's focus.

But there is no logical path from "Not everybody does it" and "It can be done badly" to "it's not a legitimate movie-making technique."