Quote Originally Posted by Greywander
TTRPGs can be really abstract sometimes. You try to do a thing, so you make a roll... and you fail. The thing is, your stats say you should be really good at that thing, so it creates a kind of dissonance between what your stats say and what actually happens in-game.

It could be interesting to allow a PC to come up with a reason for why their character fails a task. Or maybe allow the players to take turns explaining why another PC fails at something. Being nice to a fellow player by making their failure more awesome will encourage that player to be nice to you back. It also gives some freedom for the players to be as comedic or epic as they want, and takes some of the burden off of the DM/GM.

Sometimes villains get to be awesome, too, and it makes it that much more epic when the players do manage to defeat them.
Greetings !!

I really liked this.

I agree with (and try to encourage) my players to do the "helpful description" for others, especially if they are having trouble with Unlucky Dice. I love seeing people doing this.

To me: Without cool Villains and "powerful" Monsters, being a Hero is harder to achieve. Sure, being the kind hearted traveling Missionary all your life can (eventually) cause people to think of the PC as a hero, but that's the Path of the NPC.

Spoiler: my biggest peeve in tRPGs
Show
When the PC with the lowest possible total to a Skill (1) out-rolls the Expert (2) in it.

(Like in 5e D&D, when the DC isn't supposed to exceed 20: Proficiency and Expertise plus 5 Ability is 17 and still has a 10% chance failure, and a Natural 20 almost always succeeds)

In this case, I have Player 1 do thier best to explain how their Character did the Skill, while letting Player 2 come up with In Character reasons/excuses for why they didn't do so well.
(I'm going to try and use your Crocodile Idea)

I'll toss in Suggestions if they are having trouble. Like: maybe the Expert didn't sound Convincing when telling the information from a Knowledge Skill; or went into too much Detail; or over explained the subject?

I'll ask leading Questions:
"How the heck is the Wizard (with 8 Str) untrained in any Physical Skill somehow able to outdo the Expert in Acrobatics (or the 20 Str Martial at Athletics)?"

Some of the answers I get are hilarious.

I also don't exclude PCs from any of the D&D Play Pillars:

I want Fighters without Persuasion talking to Royalty.

I'll give them a bonus with other Martials, and if they have the Soldier Background - they get Advantage with Military type NPCs. Same for PCs with the Sailor Background with Navel people.

I want Noble Paladins engaging with "Regular people" or (gasp) Criminal types.

And so forth.

Makes things a lot more interesting, and allows Players to use their background for more than a couple of extra skills.

Sorry
I can get long-winded with my Ramblings.

If you read all that, Thanks !