View Single Post

Thread: A rpg evil session managed to disturb me

1. - Top - End - #48
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: A rpg evil session managed to disturb me

Quote Originally Posted by False God View Post
    And this isn't censorship. Because you don't have free speech at an RPG table.
    If you truly believe this then we are never going to see eye to eye on anything.

However, I am truly baffled by this position, and I have to ask:

A: If I don't have free speech in my own home amongst my friends, where the heck do I have free speech?
    B: If I have some how lost my free speech, aren't I, by definition, being censored?

I can only assume this is some sort of semantic argument like "Only governments can censor!" or "Freedom of speech doesn't meant freedom of consequences", to which I will post the definition of censorship:

"Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information, on the basis that such material is considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or "inconvenient".Censorship can be conducted by a government, private institutions, and corporations."

Which this absolutely falls under.

That being said, I ask for a discussion beforehand so I can know not to introduce something into the campaign. Far too many times I have had a player come up to me AFTER a session and tell me that they were considering quitting my game because it touched on some subject matter that they were troubled by; when if they had told me upfront I wouldn't have included it.

And I am not talking about rape, torture, or the like. For example, one session involved a fairly typical fantasy world set after the defeat of the dark lord, where orcs and humans were living together, but some humans still feared and distrusted the orcs, and a group of human supremacists was hoping to convince the local lords to exile all the orcs from their lands by committing violent crimes and pinning it on the orcs. This was a scenario were racism was shown as a bad thing, and the racists were presented as the bad guys, and were defeated and punished for being bad guys, but I had a player come to me afterwards and tell me that they were not comfortable with racism and wanted to leave the game as a result.

As far as rape goes, about the most graphic I will ever get is off-hand mentions like listing rape as one of the crimes on a bounty's rap sheet, or having a half-elf NPC imply that their parentage wasn't consensual, or that the raiders killed all the men and carried away all the women or something like that, and if someone told me it bothered them I would remove it, no questions asked. On the other hand, if a player wanted to engage in rape, I wouldn't stop them, but I wouldn't certainly ask the other players if they wanted to leave the room first (and would allow them to flat out veto it if it involved them or an NPC they were close to).

Quote Originally Posted by zinycor View Post
    Are you a therapist who runs roleplaying games as part of a therapy?

If not, then there is absolutely no reason for a player to explain their reasonings for wanting to ban certain experiences from happening at the table.
    I would only ask for an explanation if I felt that they were asking in bad faith.

For example, I had a player who would brutally and graphically torture captured NPCs, but then when his character was captured (by the family member of one of his torture victims) and subjected to torture in turn, he suddenly told me that he was uncomfortable RPing a torture victimand wanting me to make his character immune to torture, but he had no problem RPing a torturer.
    Last edited by Talakeal; 2019-09-18 at 08:54 PM.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.