Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Hat View Post
Wow! Someone actually believes in my extreme opinions. I feel validated.

On that note I have a question. Of the superhero/comicbook adaptations that came out already this year...

-Captain Marvel
-Endgame
-Far from Home
-Shazam
-Dark Phoenix
-Hellboy

..where do you rank Joker? I'm asking because I've heard some people say its the best film they've seen all year - a year where Endgame came out. Endgame a film with SO much CGI, is three hours long, and the 22nd installment in a series - in your opinion does this little stand alone film surpass it in terms of quality. Quality and not box office returns I do stress. I mean all Joker has going for it is a very talented actor in the lead role which in all honesty should be the defining point of a film. And if it seems like I'm attacking Endgame you could ask the same with Dark Phoenix: another film with a lot of CGI in a series with...I don't know how many previous installments. Is there even any CGI in Joker?

I'm not so much attack any one specific film, but the current state of cinema. These never ending series that over rely on special effects - I mean there was a new Rambo film that also came out and I heard that was bad. Yet another series that has gone on far too long.
I haven't seen it yet, I'm hoping to see it on Wednesday or another day later this week. But I can probably do some pre-rating for you to give some idea of my thoughts going in.

I haven't seen Dark Phoenix, Shazam, or Hellboy, so I can't rate those. Other than Shazam (which I want to see at some point), I didn't watch Dark Phoenix or Hellboy because I heard they were terrible. So...put those at the bottom and Shazam off to one side?

I will say that it almost certainly will not beat out Endgame for me. It was the culmination of 10 years worth of build-up and will probably be #2 on my "greatest all time" list for the forseeable future. #1 is Last Crusade, because nobody beats Ford and Connery in the same film. Nobody.

Captain Marvel and Far From Home were both solid films, but nothing all that special either. Captain Marvel was definitely better than Far From Home.