View Single Post

Thread: Joker (2019)

1. - Top - End - #132
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Joker (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Could not agree more. Everything I've heard about this film suggests it to be an art film that just happens to use a DC character. That's not a film you make a series out of.
    I disagree quite strongly. Rather than seeing endless versions of basically the same incarnation of the Joker and Batman, I'd like to see something actually new and original explored. When DC comics do the equivalent, it usually gets fan support. When Marvel does it with films (think Spider-man as incarnated in the MCU or in Into the Spider-Verse), it usually gets fan support. Why do I get the feeling that DC fans want to see only very specific beats that they have in their head depicted in film?

This Joker film presented a very original view of the Batman world. The chaotic situation of Gotham City, the death of Bruce Wayne's parents, it was all caused directly or indirectly by the Joker. In this Gotham where the rich are such pricks and there's so much misery, what type of Batman would Bruce Wayne become? It's a very gray world, one in which it's not totally clear who is doing evil and who's not. How would that Batman play off against this Joker, who is a mass murderer but also deep down a clearly damaged person* that just needs, or needed, some help? Would this Batman be out for revenge, or would he set out to help Gotham? Would he be the champion of the Gotham aristocracy against the masses, would he fight for the people?

In the Nolan-verse, Batman was the first one to dress up, the first super, which ignited a series of similarly dressed-up super-criminals. In the Todd Phillips-verse, the Joker is the one to start that. What is this Joker like 10-15 years down the line, what has he become? How has his appearence influenced the creation of bombastic, dressed-up criminals (and heroes like Batman)?

I want to see that way more than I want to see Robert Pattinson as younger Batfleck, to be honest.

*Even if it's not tattooed on his forehead.
    Last edited by Clertar; 2019-10-08 at 10:26 AM.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"