View Single Post

Thread: Joker (2019)

1. - Top - End - #136
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Joker (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Todd Phillips is suggesting that Arthur Fleck may have inspired Batman's Joker instead of being the real Clown Prince of Crime himself. For me this is the best of both worlds - the obligatory DC trappings like Thomas Wayne aren't completely pointless this way, but this movie can still stand alone without having to worry about tying Arthur in with Batman and his other rogues. We also don't end up with yet another Joker who is 30 years older than Bruce and directly tied to his family before he even began his crusade (*sideeyes Tim Burton's Batman*). I certainly couldn't picture Joaquin's Joker zipping around town abusing Harley Quinn, releasing laughing gas all over the city, or bashing Jason Todd's head in.
    Im not a fan of this idea.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The laugh is spot on, he actively goes by Joker publicly at the end, he fully embraces the chaos in the subway scene when being chased by the cops and seems more in his element there than any other time before, starts getting a flair for the dramatic and high levels of confidence when he goes all out on his way to do the Murr-RAY show, and is getting the devotion and allegiance of a vast amount of people. That's Joker. Some other guy coming along, taking the same gimmick, and running with it? I dont buy it. Plus, I can see him having a Harley Quinn - her attraction to him is already easy to see, he can be mesmerizing, and after his fantasy with the girl in the apartment across the hall, along with his mother's betrayal and her actions to begin with ("don't you have to be funny to do stand-up?"), I could easily see him having a toxic relationship afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Individual films can certainly go alternate universe, but I think running more than one universe as a franchise can cause confusion in non-comic fans. But as stated above, they don't have to - this Joker movie CAN take place in the DCEU continuity, without needing Joaquin to reprise his role in Pattinson's upcoming Batman flick.
    Given the sheer amount of different Batmen in different eras in cinema alone, I doubt it would be that confusing. Or Spider-Men, for that matter, they reboot it twice a decade or so and it's never been confusing so far.

Which, to be fair, is also why I was wondering why so many people were hostile to the idea of the movie to begin with.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-10-08 at 02:12 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2